Tuesday, December 31, 2019

New Year Same You

This is not going to be a diatribe bashing self-improvement. I love self-improvement. I respect people who look at the things they want to change in life and decide to try and make those changes. But the key word is "want".

That's why I hate the saying "New year, New you". In the next 24-48 hours, it will probably be the most said 4 word sentence on every conceivable social networking platform.

But why, why does there need to be a new you? What's wrong with the old you? Why can't the old you decide to exercise more or learn to cook if you want?

Be happy with you and then upgrade the skills you want.

I think of it like D&D. After every adventure, you gain experience. That experience lets you learn new skills. Sometimes, when you level up, you just increase an attribute. Maybe you get stronger or smarter. But it's always a choice. Other times, you learn a new skill or talent...but again, always a choice.

In addition to that, your character's core components, their wants, their desires, their beliefs, their passions, those don't change. They adapt and they choose new skills and attributes to serve those needs.

So as we enter a new decade, I say, don't go for the complete overhaul. A lot of stuff about you is just fine! Just learn to cook with a wok or lift heavier things this year. Be proud of you for whatever you do...even if it's just making it through every day until 2021.

I'm proud of you and I love you. All of you...is that weird? Did I move too fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment