Thursday, September 12, 2019

Elvis and Tubbs #4 - The Best of Cannonball Adderly

Starting with full disclosure here. Spotify doesn't have this actual album available..but I'm nothing if not dilligent, so I dug up the track list and cobbled it together in my queue.

I don't listen to a lot of intstrumental stuff and I don't listen to a lot of jazz, so this will be two new experiences for me. I'm thinking of this bit from one of my favorite commedians, Mr. Paul F. Tompkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSMbPbuGYE

I will say, I am digging this a lot. I'm tapping my toes and bopping my head. Maybe I need to explore more jazz!

An interesting thing about instrumental music....I totally tuned out for a whole song, but when I checked in with myself, I was loving it. Holy shit...do I like jazz?!

We're on to Mercy, Mercy, Mercy and the track I'm listening to is live. I'm loving hearing the audience react to everything...although I'm not sure what exactly they're reacting too, which is mentioned in the standup bit above. Like, I'm just hearing the song and someone is like "Woah, alright now!" and I'm like "Why? It's a good song, but I don't see what's made that chunk so impressive..."

Wikipedia tells me this is his big single and it does sound familiar.

Dat Dere has started and I'm not sure if it's just that it's hitting me in the right place for my current mood, but I think this album is moving it's way to the number one spot. Before you say anything, I know I forgot to include my power ranking on the last two posts. I'll remember on this one, get off my back.

Why? (Am I Treated So Bad) is again a live track. It makes me want to go see some jazz...WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING!!?!

The last track, Them Dirty Blues. I spaced out again, but I almost think that might be good when you're listening to instrumental stuff. It's good to space out to.

That was a really, really great album. I think I'm going to put it at #1

EC Top 500 Power Ranking

1. The Best of Cannonball Adderly - Cannonball Adderly
2. Abba Gold - ABBA
3. S/T - David Ackles
4. Subway to the Country - David Ackles

No comments:

Post a Comment